Hydrology Software for Stormwater Modeling
Design Detention Ponds the Easy Way
From complex watershed modeling to pre- and post-development drainage studies with detention ponds, we make stormwater modeling a breeze. Hydrology Studio software is simple to use and free to download and try. Get started today!
Model Watersheds and Design Detention Ponds
Model multiple systems in a single project with up to 100 hydrograph nodes, with up to 8 return periods... simultaneously. And it's coupled with a delightful user interface.
Design and analyze using well-known methodologies that comply with industry standards and local regulations. NRCS, Rational and Modified Rational methods are built-in along with an extensive library of design storms and rainfall. Easily customize to match your local standards and regulations.
Use State-of-the-Art Design Procedures
We include many cutting-edge design procedures and wizard-like processes that get you from point A to B in the fewest steps. We work hard to eliminate guesswork with graphically rich, real-time interactions that keep you pointed in the right direction.
Easily Customize to Match Your Local Rainfall
Hydrology Studio contains ready-to-use design storms including SCS Types I, IA, II, Fla Mod, III, Std 6-hr, NRCS MSE, NOAA, NRCC, CA, Huff, Indiana Huff and IDF-based balanced or nested. Imports rainfall directly from NOAA Atlas 14.
Rainfall Wizard Imports Directly From NOAA Atlas 14
You can create IDF curves and customize the rainfall for your SCS/NRCS design storms in just three simple steps.
Choose Your Location on the NOAA Map
Move a cross-hair to your exact site location. A button-click is all it takes to download the rainfall data used to develop IDF curves and serve all SCS or NRCS design storms.
Import the Data Directly Into Hydrology Studio
Import rainfall from NOAA or download direct from Hydrology Studio's RainMaps. Optionally add your own correction factors, Cf, to account for saturation.
Use a Library of Built-in Dimensionless Design Storms
Select from one of 80 built-in design storm distributions. Plus, there's no need to fuss with external files. Storms are hard-coded or created on demand.
Design Your Next Detention Pond in 15 Minutes
Hydrology Studio employs a wizard that gets you from post-development back to pre in 3 easy steps. It estimates storage eliminating guesswork. Offers a graphically oriented, real-time interactive trial-routing tool. Satisfies peak Q and volumetric detention criteria.
Step 1. Estimate Required Storage
Hydrology Studio will quickly estimate required storage volumes so you can build your detention pond to the correct size the first time around. No guesswork!
Step 2. Create Your Detention Pond
Build your new detention pond to the correct size. Enter or import contour areas from your CAD software, select trapezoid shaped, manufactured underground chambers or manual entry.
Step 3. Add Outlet Structures
Hydrology Studio has developed an incredible breakthrough in detention pond outlet structures. It develops a Target Stage-Discharge for each return period and overlays it on a Schematic drawing for you to use as a guide when adding outlet devices. It’s fast, direct and eliminates iterations.
Your Design is Completed in Less Than 15 Minutes
Real-time interaction with a realistic schematic drawing of your pond’s outlet structures during Step 3 is the key ingredient to your success.
Design Underground Stormwater Detention Basins
Hydrology Studio has features that allow you to model underground stormwater detention systems. Use generic or select from a built-in library of manufactured storage chambers.
An Easy 3-Step Process
Step 1 determines the storage required using pre and post development hydrographs and target release rates. In the final step the software provides you with a dedicated outlet structure made just for underground detention.
Create the Most Efficient Chamber Layouts
For Step 2 you’ll select your chamber system from your preferred manufacturer and lay out the system to match your target storage. Use an interactive tool to set the number of chambers and rows. A manufacturer-specific layout is instantly drawn right before you indicating the dimensions and total storage.
Design Your Chamber Outlet Structure
The software automatically inserts a Riser structure for which you can add outlet devices such as a weir wall, orifice, exfiltration and outlet culvert. Perform trial pond routings along the way until it’s done exactly the way you need it.
Easy to Understand Reports Make You Look Good
Designed to be easily read and understood by you, reviewers and colleagues. These are the reports that will make you proud to hand out your business card. And it makes reviewers feel good about approving.
Best-in-Class Professional looking Reports
Report types range from recaps & summaries to scalable detailed reports and worksheets. Just check the options you like on a print menu and Hydrology Studio starts printing easy-to-read reports for any or all return periods.
Add a Complete Table of Contents
Automatically generates a table of contents. User defined starting page number and prefix allows you to insert into other reports.
- Models entire complex watersheds
- Uses SCS/NRCS TR-20, Rational and Modified Rational
- 2,880-point hydrographs for maximum accuracy
- No limits on drainage areas
- Handles up to 100 hydrograph nodes, each with up to 8 return periods at once, for a total of 800 hydrographs
- Each project can have up to 25 unique detention ponds
- Automatic batch run operation for user-defined multiple return periods
- Built-in SCS 6 & 24-hr (including Type IIFla) design storms
- Built-in Huff Distributions, all quartiles
- Built-in Indiana Huff Distributions in 4 zones, 3 quartiles
- Built-in 24-hr NRCS MSE, NOAA, NRCC and CA Storm Distributions
- Up to 10 unique Custom design storms can be specified
- Develops synthetic, nested, design storms based on local NOAA precipitation
- Develops rainfall IDF curves for any location
- Built-in Lag and TR-55 method Tc calculator
- Combines up to 6 hydrographs at once
- Routes hydrographs through channels
- Diverts hydrographs by constant Q, ratio, 1st-flush volume or any pond outlet structure
- Computes outlet flows for detention ponds
- Estimates storage requirements prior to designing your pond
- Pond Wizard significantly speeds up outlet device sizing
- Up to 10 user-definable outlet structures per pond including infiltration/exfiltration
- Handles multi-stage outlet works
- Storage values can be computed from contour areas, bottom area/side slope or underground storage with stone encasement
- Weirs types include rectangular, Cipoletti, riser, broad crested and v-notch
- Routes hydrographs through wet, dry or interconnected ponds
- Routes hydrographs through ponds with unique tailwater elevations for each return period
- Imports images as a watershed background map from png, jpg and bmp files
- Imports legacy Hydraflow Hydrographs .gpw project files
- Print Preview
- U.S. Customary & Metric units
- Much more!