Open Channel Hydraulics for the Practical Engineer
Finally, an easy alternative to HEC-RAS. Channel Studio is software purposely designed to be an easy-to-use tool for performing day-to-day hydraulic analysis on open channel systems. Use Channel Studio to compute water surface profiles for any open channel including bridge structures, culvert crossings and inline weirs. Draw realistic river reaches directly on your map, add cross-sections and compute. Stunning graphical outputs are accompanied by easy-to-read tabulated reports and live technical support.
This is Not Your Grandfather’s Software
Even though it uses long established methodologies for open channel hydraulics, this software is brand new, inside and out. It’s not a data wrapper or a pretty user interface on top of HEC-RAS or other freeware-type software. Channel Studio is all-inclusive, purpose built for open channel modeling from the ground-up and needs no other software to run.
No importing. No exporting. No stress. A real breakthrough.
Draw Realistic River Reaches
Natural channels don’t flow in straight lines right? With Channel Studio, rivers flow the way their supposed to… meandering. Capture an image from Google or Bing, specify coordinate extents and draw river reaches directly on your map. Even over CAD DXF files! Of course you always draw on a blank (coordinate referenced) canvas. It’s your choice.
Easy to Learn & Use
Channel Studio has a modern-day, all-in-one user interface that puts everything in front of you… all the time. We eliminated those annoying dialog boxes and endless pull-down menus, replacing them with intuitive tabs and smart input grids. Compute and visualize results, graphic and numeric, while editing your inputs right there, in a smart grid-style editor. From now on, you can model open channels quickly and stress-free.
Intuitive, Graphical and Smart
Why waste time hand-calculating or manually inputting when you can do it with a mouse click? Easily add cross-sections to your model by simply rolling your mouse along the river reaches and clicking. Sections are automatically aligned, reach lengths computed, ineffective flow areas established and more!
Easy Geometric Data Entry
Just click on a section and add channel data the easy way. Save time using pre-defined section types or enter up to 250 points for user-defined sections.
Input options allow you to copy & paste station, elevation points from a spreadsheet, insert, delete and even reverse section data. Copy data from one section and paste into another. Adjust sections up or down. Even interpolate between any two unique sections!
Add bridge structures anywhere on your model and Channel Studio will manage the details like low flow, pressure flow and overtopping flows. Specify high and low deck elevations as well as optional sloped or vertical abutments and piers. The software optionally computes and includes ineffective flow areas for the adjacent up and downstream channel sections. Also computes Contraction and Pier scour.
We admit, we borrowed the technology from Channel Studio’s close cousin, Culvert Studio. And it allows you to do this:
Add single-barrel crossings to multi-barrel culverts with various shapes, inlet configurations, materials, slopes, sizes and flow regimes including supercritical flow with hydraulic jumps and overtopping flow… to any section on your river model. Nice!
Model Inline Weirs
Perfect for those occasions where you need to regulate upstream water surface profiles. Just add an inline weir structure to your model, set the crest elevation and you’re good to go. Channel studio automatically and dynamically determines the weir type (broad or sharp crested) based on the computed water depth and weir width, and applies the appropriate weir coefficient, Cw.
Time-tested Procedures & Features
When it has to be done right, Channel Studio has your back. Water surface profile calculation options include a variety of friction-loss methods. N-values can vary across sections via Left and Right Overbank stations. Graphically draw ineffective and blocked flow areas for more accurate results. Compute using up to three unique user-defined flow profiles, each with varying Qs and starting tailwater.
Accepted Calculation Methods
While Channel Studio is NOT some wrapper around HEC-RAS, it DOES employ the same methodologies for performing water surface profile calculations. These procedures are widely known and are used for open channel hydraulics calculations in Channel Studio. It handles subcritical and supercritical flow regimes with hydraulic jumps. It includes cross-section subdivision for conveyance calculations, composite Manning’s n across the channel section, velocity-weighing coefficients for Alpha, distance-weighted reach lengths and contraction and expansion losses.
Open Channel Modeling in 3D!
When it comes to water surface profiles, nothing explains it better than 3-dimensional perspectives. Channel Studio renders accurate 3D plots of any channel system with lightening speed. It even shows bridges, culverts, inline weirs, blocked obstructions and the water surface. Your clients will be impressed with the realistic colors and shading.
Plus, They’re Interactive
You’ll have a host of options on how you display and use these drawings. Click on any section or its number label and edit data right on the spot for immediate updating. Set the beginning and ending sections for higher detail.
Adjust the X and Y perspective parameters for different viewing angles. A simple move of your mouse wheel zooms in and out while a right-click saves the image to a file. These drawings are also included in your printed reports.
Import Projects from Raw Survey Data
Channel Studio makes simple work of going from field to finish… in one step. You can import your reaches and/or cross-sections from any .csv file containing Easting (X), Northing (Y), Elevation (Z) values and their associated Feature Codes.
Import/Export RAS GIS Files
Not only can you import data from RAS GIS files, you can easily share your project with other RAS GIS-supported CAD software for post-processing or GIS-based flood plain delineation.
Integrate With CAD
While you can import any dxf or image-based background map, you can also export. Channel Studio provides a georeferenced map of your flood plain for which you can export as an overlay back into your base cad drawings for flood plain delineation and other processing.
Evaluates Bridge Scour Instantly
Channel Studio has the added ability to perform scour analysis through any bridge structure. It uses methods described in Hydrologic Engineering Circular 18 (HEC-18). All that is needed are two inputs; bed material, D50 and a selection of your pier shape if piers are present. Once input, Channel Studio automatically includes the scour calculations with the water surface profiles.
Channel Studio computes bridge contraction scour based on your median size bed material (D50). It employs both Live-bed and Clear-water equations during its evaluation.
Pier Scour can be evaluated for each individual pier. Just indicate the pier nose shape (Rounded, Square or Sharp-triangular) and Channel Studio takes care of the rest.
It’s Time to Get Your Water Surface Profiles Dressed
Your expert engineering deserves an expert reward. Treat yourself to exceptional looking print-outs including plans, cross-sections, water surface profiles and tabulated reports.
Numerical reports can also be exported as text or comma delimited files for importing into spreadsheets for further customizing.
Each are designed to command authority while being easily understood by your peers and your reviewers.
Expert Technical Support
What’s worse than being stuck on a channel modeling project that’s under a deadline and having no one to turn to but 1,500-pages of text? Nothing.
Don’t worry. Our software includes technical support to keep you moving ahead. And it’s only a phone call or email away. Get your answers fast.
List of Technical Highlights
Channel Studio is just as powerful inside as it is outside. Here are some of the technical highlights:
- Add up to 100 reaches at any length.
- Add up to 100 cross-sections.
- Reaches can be curved or straight.
- Automatically computes reach lengths with user override.
- User-defined canvas and map extents.
- Import reaches and sections from raw survey data.
- Import and export projects from RAS GIS files.
- Computes water surface profiles using energy-based procedures following HEC-RAS methodologies.
- Calculation friction-loss methods including Ave Conveyance, Ave Friction Slope and Geometric Mean.
- Compute using up to three unique user-defined flow profiles, each with varying Qs and tailwater.
- Up to 250 user-defined points can be used to describe User-defined channel sections.
- N-values can vary across sections via Left and Right Overbank Stations.
- Computes supercritical flow profiles with hydraulic jumps.
- Specify any known tailwater elevation, normal depth or critical depth as a starting control point.
- Automatically constructs and includes ineffective flow areas upstream and downstream of bridge and culvert sections.
- Allows you to graphically draw ineffective flow areas for any cross-section.
- Reverse cross-section data from looking upstream to downstream and visa versa.
- Copy and paste geometric data from other cross-sections to minimize user input.
- Interpolate cross-section data between any two sections for easy section insertion.
- Adjust geometric cross-section data up or down with a single input.
- Computes hydraulic grade line (HGL) with flow regimes including supercritical flow and hydraulic jumps.
- Models inlet and outlet control flow regimes.
- Computes roadway/embankment overtopping flows.
- Uses FHWA – HDS-5 methodology.
- Handles partial, full and surcharged flow regimes automatically.
- Models circular, rectangular, arch and arch-open bottom sections.
- Computes hydraulic grade line (HGL) through bridge crossings.
- Specify high and low chord elevations, left and right abutments and multiple vertical piers.
- Abutments can be sloped or vertical.
- Computes roadway/deck overtopping flows.
- Computes contraction and pier scour.
- Computes hydraulic grade line (HGL) over inline weir structures.
- Weirs can represent emergency spillways or overflow structures. Broad or sharp crested.
- Colorful, professional reports are easy to read and interpret.
- Georeferenced Plan, Section and Profile plots for easy floodplain delineation.
- Tabulated reports are exportable to .txt or .csv file formats.
- Finished Plan Views can be exported to .DXF files or a variety of image formats.
- Print Preview.
- U.S. Customary
The Latest Programming Technology
While open channel hydraulics calculation methods may be decades old, Channel Studio’s user interface is brand new.
Built on Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
Built from the ground up using Microsoft’s dot-net WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) it provides a rich and clean presentation while taking advantage of today’s modern hardware. Built on top of Microsoft’s DirectX, WPF makes graphics rendering lightning fast while using device-independent pixels. Everything is automatically scaled up or down as the target PC changes. Learn more about WPF here.
Channel Studio is a stand-alone software product. Any off-the-shelf PC running Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10 and beyond will run Channel Studio. An internet connection is recommended for automatic updates and online help. No additional software is required.
Channel Studio employs Microsoft’s “Click-Once” technology for easy, no-hassle installations. No zip files to open or messy procedures to follow. Just click the Download button and within seconds your new open channel hydraulics software is up and running. Program updates occur with a single mouse click. Download your free trial here.